This old car factory called Lingotto, was built between 1917 and 1923, and is located in Italy. It was commissioned by Fiat when they where at their top, holding 80% of the automotive market share in Italy. Except form being the largest car factory in Europe at the time, it was special because of an integrated spiral assembly line ending up at the roof of the building which was designed as a rooftop test track. As each of the cars were assembled, from bolts and screws at the lower level, they were spiraling their way to the top of the building, storey by storey, ending up as fully assembled cars taken for a spin on the roof.
This factory did not end up as an abandoned, declined building. A few year after the Lingotto closed, it was redesigned, by Renzo Piano, as a massive public space comprising shops, a theatre, a convention centre and a motel.